Avoiding Lead Paint in Toys

Avoiding Lead Paint in Toys

Lead, which is not visible and does not have an odor, has been used in the manufacturing of paint and toy items. This substance can be absorbed by the body and cause serious, long-lasting health conditions. Exposure to lead in toys and fake jewelry poses serious health issues, especially for young, growing children.

Through innocent play, babies and young toddlers explore toys through licking, chewing, and placing items in their mouth. As children have growing bodies and minds, ingesting lead can make them a prime target to the damaging effects of lead poisoning.

Common Sources

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common sources for lead poisoning in children involve paint as well as toys manufactured with lead in the paint, plastic, or metal.

In the United States, the use of lead in household paints was banned prior to 1978. As paint chips and peels off walls and windowsills in older homes that have not been de-leaded, this can pose a threat to young children who may ingest the dust, particles, or paint chips. Countries without strict qualitative regulations may manufacture toys that include lead. These toys can then be imported by the United States, which serves as another cause of lead paint poisoning.

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, metal toy jewelry, crayons, chalk, and clothing are other sources of lead paint poisoning. Aside from toys, lead can also contaminate soil, old playground equipment, cosmetics, food containers, drinking water, and antiques.

Business Computer